FPML-CWG FW: FpML Collateral WG - MC1 discussion

This is good stuff... I think it could be shared directly with the group (going forward you may cc/reply to colwg@xxxxxxxx). Thanks Kaizad/Richard

From: richard.barton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:richard.barton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:54 AM
To: kbhathen@xxxxxxxxxxx; Lyteck Lynhiavu
Cc: apanchal@xxxxxxxxxxx; SLee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: FpML Collateral WG - MC1 discussion

Hi Kaizad

Not sure if this is supposed to be the way to reply to these messages but I just wanted to share my experience related to this.  We have experience of calculations similar to what you have described below. In our system we would refer to the Upfront Margin in your scenario as Additional Margin (an amount applied as an add-on to Exposure usually intended to cover a possible increase in Exposure before the next Valuation Date).  We would usually differentiate this from what we would refer to as Lock-up Margin (An initial margin amount payable by one party to the other party regardless of the Exposure Amount).  We see both of these in the market.  Perhaps we could look to  make the definition of the term Upfront more granular and perhaps look to break it down so as to differentiate how it is treated within calculations.

Here is an example of a margin call rendering with Additional Margin

Here is an example of a margin call rendering with Lock-up Margin note how the Lock-up Margin is separated from the Exposure and is not subject to Threshold adjustment.  This is also an example of a segregated call where Lock-up Margin and Variation Margin is held separately and can be processed independently once the initial call is made.

On a further note related to use of negatives this is something that can be handled in the rendering engine of the margin call and allows different organisations to render the margin call request in whatever way makes most sense to their users.  If you prefer negative representation for Pledged or Pending movements to the other party or for Exposures in the other parties favour this is your choice.  The message itself from a FpML perspective tries to be agnostic to this preference

Best Regards

Richard