FPML-CWG RE: Collateral WG Meeting: Wed 3 March 2010

Please find below the link to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York press release, the commitment letter (including the collateral commitments):

http://www.ny.frb.org/newsevents/news/markets/2010/ma100301.html

From: Lyteck Lynhiavu
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 7:36 PM
To: 'colwg@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: Collateral WG Meeting: Wed 3 March 2010

Please find the details for Wednesday’s meeting:

Wednesday March 3, 2010 @ 10am NY / 3pm London time

Agenda:

·         Update on the latest collateral commitments made by the OTC derivatives industry to regulators (Karel Engelen)

1.  Discuss Margin Call Response proposal from Richard (action item 1/attached)

2.  MC5/MC6 Dispute Reasons: review consolidated list (Richard Excel)

3.  What happens after MC12/13? Closing the process loop (action item 3)

4.  Continue the review of data elements for MC7..MC13

Dial in Details:

      US Dial-in:             888-481-3032

      UK Toll Free:           0800 904 7961

      International Dial-in:  617-801-9600

      Passcode:               8682747

Thanks, Lyteck

Ref: http://www.isda.org/c_and_a/pdf/Electronic-Messaging.pdf

The information contained in either this email and, if applicable, the attachment, are confidential and are intended only for the recipient. The contents of either the email or the attachment may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient(s), any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at isda@xxxxxxxx <mailto:isda@xxxxxxxx> then delete the e-mail and all attachments and any copies thereof. This communication is part of an ISDA process and is not intended for unauthorized use or distribution.
--- Begin Message ---

Hi

Sorry to all for not making the call yesterday. Please find attached some thoughts on Dispute Reasons, Margin Call Response and Collateral Proposals.

The following suggestions are an example of how we could potentially represent the Margin Call Response and Collateral Proposal which would form the reply to the Margin Call issued via MC1.  These messages would potentially replace MC3a,b,c,MC5,MC6.  Apologies for not annotating this in FpML but hopefully this is ok to get an idea of the suggestion.

The premise of this suggestion is as follows:

·         The messages should support the scenario where an organisation knows what they can agree to but not the exact collateral that will be sent.  Therefore the messages support sending the agreed details independently of the collateral details.

·         When utilizing a messaging infrastructure if the messages are split then the scenario where the collateral proposal is known at the same time as the agreed amount then the rendering system will support this so it is ok to be separate

·         The Margin Call Response should handle the situation where Initial Margin and Variation Margin is segregated.  The respondent can agree to the IM, VM separately or in the same message.  For scenarios where there is no segregation I used the term convenience response amount to relate that situation where the IM and VM is not segregated.

·         The messages should not restrict the amount of information the responding party are able and willing to disclose about why they are agreeing to what they are agreeing.  Therefore I suggest a section “calculation details” where they can detail their view of the margin calculation (you can even show that you thought they could have called you for more if you would like).  I appreciate that typically the amount of information that is disclosed is limited i.e. ISDA guidelines assumes at most mtm, collateral and upfront.  However in the case of a dispute you are eventually going to ask for this information anyway so to expedite the mitigation of risk why not support disclosure.  For example the ISDA Guideline does not require you to disclose Threshold.  So if I dispute and send a dispute reason Threshold. Then you are going to be reverting back to the phone/email to ask what is the Threshold.  If I tell you in my response what the Threshold is it saves an out of collateral system communication.

·         If the messages support disclosure of calculation details then the need for dispute reason is lessened because you are presented with the information that enables you (or your collateral system) to see why the responding party can only agree to the amount they are agreeing to.  It also supports side by side comparison of calculation details.

·         When separating the Collateral Proposal you can then handle the scenario where the calling party rejects a collateral proposal with the same message type and avoids having to have another message for handling rejected collateral proposals.

Other things considered about this message

·         It assumes that the party that receives the Margin Call Response will look at the Undisputed Amount details and compare that to the amount that they called that party for.  If the amount is 0 then the responder disputes, if the amount is equal to the call amount the responder agreed, if the amount is not 0 they partially agreed.

·         There is no explicit element that says dispute, agreed, partially agreed

·         There is no minimum amount of information expected when you respond (there is no limitation either)

·         There is no explicit element for dispute reason (however the information you need apart from not a valid call day is available in the response details)

Dispute Reasons

I saw the various notes on Dispute Reasons and put them in a tab of the attached spreadsheet.  I think when thinking about this that we need to bear in mind firstly what information we need to be able to use that reason and secondly whether we would have that information at the time of receiving the margin call request.  From the table you will see those reasons that are known from the Margin Call details and at the time of the call and those that would require a Portfolio Statement or Collateral Statement and a reconciliation to have taken place.  Therefore I think if we are to use a Dispute Reason we probably need to limit ourselves to those that are marked as in both the Call Details and At Call Time classifications.

Regards

Richard