Forums

FpML Discussion

General FpML Discussion Technical & Implementation Questions settlementProvision for single currency IRS, BS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    vtetiura
    Participant

Hi, Could you please explain why settlementProvision section refers to fixed leg payments dates only in ird-ex29-non-deliverable-settlement-swap.xml example? So, why it doesn’t contain link to floating leg payment dates as floating leg should be also settled in different currency? For the single currency ND swap (IRS or Basis) I would expect one of the following solutions: 1) Each leg contains settlementProvision section, which references to its payments dates. 2) Only one leg contains settlementProvision section, but it refers to payments dates on both legs. I’ve found the similar question in IRD WG archive (http://www.fpml.org/_wgmail/_irdwgmail/msg00430.html), but nobody replied to it.

h_mcallister
    Spectator

Hi, I have to disagree with the statement that the “floating leg should be also settled in [a] different currency” in this case. Example ird-ex29 represents a cross-currency swap paying fixed on KRW against 3M USD Libor. The fixed leg is non-deliverable, settling in USD; the floating leg settles in the currency of its notional i.e. USD also – this is not an unusual arrangement. Given that the [i]settlementProvision[/i] applies (only) to the stream in which it appears in the cross-currency case, producing [i]settlementProvision[/i] under both streams in the single-currency case is a consistent approach. Indeed this may be easier for both message producer and consumer, as there is no requirement to check whether local settlement provisions also apply to the “other” leg. In general, FpML usage for IR swaps avoids referencing across streams, and repetition of information within streams is tolerated for ease of processing (e.g. calculation period dates, payment dates, notional amount …). Best regards, Harry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.