Forums

FpML Discussion

General FpML Discussion Technical & Implementation Questions Question about fpml-com-4-5.xsd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cbowditch
    Spectator

I don’t understand why the element exercise in the commodities schema of FpML 4.5 has a type CommodityExercise? The fpml-4-5-shared.xsd contains a substitution Group named exercise, so a reference to the element exercise in the same namespace means the element exercise in the Commodities Schema could be represented by any members of the Substitution Group exercise. The member elements of SubGroup exercise all have types that inherit from ComplexType exercise yet the exercise element in the Commodities Schema has a type CommodityExercise which the types of the member elements of the SubGroup Exercise do not inherit from. I’ve been over my schema book and I’m not sure how to interpret this. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here? TIA Chris

mgratacos
    Keymaster

Hi Marc, My interpretation is that the problem here is the name of the exercise element. I note that in our original submission the element now called exercise was called commodityExercise – do you know at what point this changed? The solution would seem to be simply to revert to the original name. With regards to extending ComplexType Exercise, CommodityEuropeanExercise extends Exercise and AmericanEuropeanExercise extends SharedAmericanExercise which in turn extends Exercise Many thanks, Owen King

cbowditch
    Spectator

Hi Owen, yes I agree that if the element “exercise” with type “CommodityExercise” was renamed to something else then the problem would go away. I hope this happens before the Spefication becomes a recommendation. Thanks, Chris

iyermakova
    Spectator

FpML Modeling Task Forces recommendation is to remove all products name prefixes in the elements names across all products in FpML 5-0. The Commodity is a new product, therefore, it should follow the MTF recommendations from the start. The modeling consistency across all products is important to the FpML standards. That was the reason to why the commodityExercise was renamed to exercise. If the name confuses the implementers is one thing, but the element exercise of type CommodityExercise cannot be substituted by any member of global element exercise substitution group as Chris suggests -> the element exercise in the Commodities Schema could be represented by any members of the Substitution Group exercise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.